The Health Navigator NZ website is a non-profit community initiative combining the efforts of a wide range of partner and supporter organisations overseen by the Health Navigator Charitable Trust.
The Health Navigator website provides one place for New Zealanders to find reliable and trustworthy health information and self-care resources. It focuses on promoting clear, consistent messages that enable users to get the information they need at the time they need it.
The key objectives of the Health Navigator NZ website are to help you navigate the health information maze and:
- Simplify the process of finding trusted and reliable health information.
- Equip you and your family with information, tools and resources that help you make better decisions and choices to maximise your health and quality of life.
- Improve the quality of health information used by New Zealanders by developing a quality framework and minimum standards for all linked resources.
- Improve accessibility of reliable self-care/self-help information to support shared decision making, patient autonomy, self-determination and encourage patient activation and sharing of responsibility in ongoing health care.
- Improve patient safety by promoting clinical excellence and upskilling consumers such as staying alert to anything that doesn’t seem right.
- Encourage and facilitate increased understanding and use of self-management tools, resources and principles within both primary and secondary care.
- Support the practical implementation of evidence-based clinical guidelines by making them more available at the point of care.
- Support individuals and families with positive behaviour change through access to evidence-based online tools, resources, self-help programmes and support groups.
- Improve accessibility and availability of health information for specific groups such as Maori & Pacific people and resources in different languages.
- Become a trusted source of health information and practical tools for health professionals and consumers within New Zealand (independent of any drug company sponsorship, involvement, or resources).