The Council meets regularly throughout the year and sets goals that guide its activity. It elects two co-convenors who have speaking rights at the CTU National Affiliates Council. The Council holds a biennial conference with representatives from all CTU unions (see the box to the right). It has representatives on the National Advisory Council on the Employment of Women and the New Horizon’s for Women Trust. The Council also liaises closely with the National Council of Women and the Ministry of Women’s Affairs.
The Council’s Goals
The Women’s Council promotes and supports the goals set by its annual conference. The current goals of the Women’s Council are:
- Enable women workers to utilise quality flexible working hours legislation
- Promote working women’s issues by developing and supporting strong effective networks
- Promote work rights and unionisation for women
- Develop political awarenes, activism and leadership of union women
- Acheive fair pay and address low pay and pay and employment equity